The building and Civil Engineering department comprises two sections, and each sections headed by Section Head. These are:
- Plumbing and Water Engineering section.
- Building and Civil Engineering section
In plumbing and water engineering, students are trained on various aspects of water services engineering and drainage systems such as:
- Water supply and Intake technology.
- Water Installation, Plumbing accessories and fitting.
- Fabrication and heating of various materials for plumbing works.
- Drainage system installation, repair and maintenance.
- Site and workshop Management.
- Entrepreneurship education
In Building and Civil Engineering, students are taken through an elaborate programme that prepares them to carry out various engineering projects upon completion of the course.
Some of the areas that they acquire competencies are:
- Surveying of the construction sites.
- Structural design
- Architectural design.
- Civil and Building construction.
- Road design and construction.
- Management of construction works.
- Measurements of construction works.
- Estimating and Costing of construction works
The courses that are offered in the department targets students who have completed and acquired ‘O’ level certificate (KCSE) and passed in the required grades. For those enrolling in Diploma courses, a mean grade C- is sufficient while for certificate courses grade D is acceptable.
- Diploma in Building Construction Technology.
- Diploma In Civil Engineering.
- Diploma in Water and Sanitation Engineering
- Craft certificate in Water& Sanitation.
- Certificate in Building Construction Technology
Intakes are done in September and January for Diploma courses, while those for certificate courses are done in May and September every year.
External examinations are administered in June/July and November/December periods by the Kenya National Examination Council upon completion of the coursework. Students are expected to undergo a 3 month Industrial attachment after the first 3 terms.
The Department is well staffed with highly qualified and experienced lectures in their various fields of specialization.